This post discusses a much more elaborate way by which you can create a custom designed theme, instead of using the themes provided by deault. This method will work either when using Visual Studio or IIS. The following are the steps to accomplish this:
- Select the Themes folder
- Right click on the Themes folder, select New Folder, enter a name for your theme
- In this method, you have to create the layouts of your post, page and also the css
- Now create 2 files: _Layout.cshtml and _LayoutPage.cshtml
- Create a folder called css, add a file called style.css and add the styles you like
- Refer to any of the default that has these 2 files, add the html to your new files similar to the ones present in the default themes
- You can also copy/paste existing layout and modify them as per your needs
- Just make sure you have all the sections, like the categories section, recent posts section etc!
- Now, save the changes, build / publish your project and launch it
- Login to the administration section as the administrator and go to the Settings section
- Now, if you select the blog theme drop-down you will notice your new theme
- Select your new theme and save the changes
- You should now be able to see your theme being applied!
Congrats on creating your first theme using layout files!