This post discusses a way by which you can quickly create a custom designed theme, instead of using the themes provided by default. This method will work either when using Visual Studio or IIS. The following are the steps to accomplish this:
- Select the Themes folder
- Right click on the Themes folder, select New Folder, enter a name for your theme
- At a minimum, you should atleast create a css file. So, within your new folder, create a folder called css
- Add a css file, let's name it as style.css
- The layouts used for posts (_Layout.cshtml) and pages (_LayoutPage.cshtml) is located in the ~/View/Shared folder. In your style.css file add all of the css you need.
- Now, save the changes, build / publish your project and launch it
- Login to the administration section as the administrator and go to the Settings section
- Now, if you select the blog theme drop-down you will notice your new theme
- Select your new theme and save the changes
- You should now be able to see your theme being applied!
Congrats on creating your first theme!