To get started with this project, you need the following:
- ASP.Net 4 Framework
- Visual Studio 2010
- ASP.Net MVC 3
- MS SQL Server (or MS SQL Server Express)
Assuming, you satisfy the pre-requisites, follow the steps below to get started!
- Download the sBlog.Net binaries zip file and extract the files.
Launch MS SQL server, create a new database for use by your blog - as an administrator or a user who has db_creator privileges. If the database was created by the user that is going to be used in the web.config file, skip the following steps to give db_owner access.
- Then, if you don't already have a login, create a login
- Now, you need to provide access to the newly created database for the user you created in the previous step
- To do this, expand Security, then expand Logins, right click on the user your created, choose Properties
- In the dialog that appears, choose User Mapping
- In the right pane, select the database you created, check the checkbox corresponding to the new database
- In the Database role membership section, choose db_owner, click on OK
- Now (assuming your IIS directory is C:\inetpub\wwwroot), create a folder called sblog
- Copy the contents of the folder extracted to the folder you created in the previous step
- Now, right click on the "Uploads" folder, choose Properties. Then select the "Security" tab
- Click on "Edit", if you do not find IIS_IUSRS add it. Then select the user, give "Full Control" for the Uploads folder, click on OK in the dialogs opened
- Then, open the web.config file and modify the connection string to use the new database, user you created, copy this over since you require this while setting up the site!
- Now open IIS manager, from the Start menu or by entering inetmgr in your Run dialog
- Create a new website by right clicking on the Sites node and choosing Add Web Site
In the Add Web Site dialog,Now your website is all set to be used
- Enter a site name
- Select ASP.Net 4.0 application pool (or) create a new app pool that uses the ASP.Net 4.0 framework
- In the Physical path text box, choose the folder (sblog), created in the previous step
- Now select OK
- In case you are using a website provider like godaddy, copy over the files using an ftp client of your choice.
- To launch the web site, right click on it, choose "Manage Web Site" and then "Browse"
- If you are using a provider like godaddy, go to the browser and enter your website address and follow the on-screen instructions.
For setup instructions using visual studio, click here! Now, you are all set to start using your instance of sBlog.Net!!